Friday 14 February 2014

Serbia pictures 2013

Pictures from my Serbia trip in September. We only went to Belgrade, I'd like to go back one day and see more of the country. Belgrade is a nice city but it is not set up for tourism like other European capitals. Most of the museums are entirely in Serbian, which limited my enjoyment of them, and there were very few tours available in English, if any. Any tours of the sights I was interested in were not in English. I'm not one of those people who expect everyone in other countries to speak English, after all, its their country, but having the tourist attractions entirely in one language which is not a common language does hinder Belgrade's tourist appeal. It also meant I didn't need much time there to see everything there was to see. I spent 4 days but really only needed 2 days to see all I wanted to see. But I still enjoyed my time there and here are some of the pictures I took.
Belgrade pedestrian area. It is lined with shops, restaurants and the many coffee shops. Coffee is a main pastime in Belgrade and we spent many hours sitting outside drinking delicious coffee and eating fantastic desserts. 

Belgrade Fortress, one of the main attractions in the city. Its a beautiful area with views over the river and lots of parkland. Worth a half day visit at least. 

View from the wall of the Belgrade fortress. 


Walking through the fortress area. Lots to see. There is also a museum within the fortress area about the Serbian military history which was interesting. 

Another area of Belgrade, the old historical centre of Zemun, we found after walking along the boardwalk beside the river on the way to Gardos Tower.

Views from the top of Gardos Tower, also known as Millennium Tower in the Zemun fortress. 

Gardos Tower. 

The History Museum of Yugoslavia which houses the House of Flowers where Tito's grave is located. The House of Flowers also contains relay batons given to him every year on his birthday when relays were run throughout Yugoslavia and the final runner presented the baton to Tito.

Temple of St. Sava


No comments:

Post a Comment